WEAR - Search Results
"Save Our Cats & Kittens" urges people to keep animals out of the scorching heat
Two kittens dumped at the door of an animal shelter died Tuesday morning.
Employees at "save our cats and kittens" in Fort Walton Beach found them when they came to work.
They told Channel Three's Laura Hussey the kittens couldn't survive the heat.
People leave cats and kittens at SOCKS all the time; one time the kittens were in a Walmart bag, tied to this door handle. Tuesday morning, an employee found a box that someone had tried to close with duct tape.
Maybe they thought the mother cat and her kittens would find good homes.
A note on the box said "I found them on my property and I can't keep them".
By the time an employee arrived at work, the mother cat had clawed her way out, and the kittens were motionless on the bottom of the box.
"She did get in by 9 in the morning. But unfortunately, if it's 80 degrees, within minutes any enclosed thing like a car or a box, within minutes it could be a hundred degrees in there," said Lisa Bradley with SOCKS.
At Emerald Coast Animal Hospital, they say even well-intentioned pet owners don't understand how fast an animal can overheat.
They've already seen a dog die from heatstroke this year.
They advise bringing animals in during the middle of the day, and making sure they have plenty of water.
If you're ready to keep a kitten cool and give it a permanent home, they're having a "kitten extravaganza" at SOCKS on Saturday.
Reduced adoption rates for these guys, and adult cats over five are free.