WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

What FEMA can help with

And FEMA is on it's way to help but it won't cover everything. Here's an idea of how they can help.

FEMA may pay for or provide temporary housing or certain repairs to make your home livable. They may also cover other storm-related expenses, like transportation, moving, or storage. An inspector will have to visit your property and assess the damage. That could take several days from the time you apply for assistance. If you're eligible, you'll get a check or electronic transfer. If you're not eligible, you'll be sent a letter explaining why.

So if you want FEMA assistance you'll need a couple of basic things to apply. The address of the property damaged, social security numbers and the name of your insurance agency.

When you have all of that ready you can call 1-800-621- FEMA to apply. You can also use a computer or smartphone to apply at disasterassistance.gov. The counties are asking FEMA to open disaster recovery centers, where you can get help face to face but no word on when that will happen.

The phone number and the link are on our website under Newslinks here.

Now aside from FEMA you can also turn to the small business administration for help. You could qualify for a low interest loan from them, Money that could go towards your property, car or other personal belongings.

Of course, we'll have much more information on all these numbers and agencies on our website.