WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Search for Malaysian missing plane continues 3 miles by 3 miles at a time

International crews still looking for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 are narrowing the search down to an ever smaller area.

They're trying to find the source of sounds picked up by underwater listening equipment over the weekend.

Sounds that are said to be like the signals sent out by an airliner's flight recorders.

They haven't been heard again since the weekend.
And it's now a race against the clock -

The batteries that power the beacon on a flight recorder typically die after thirty days.
The plane disappeared more than a month ago.

If they locate another ping, searchers will then try to determine  if the sounds get louder or softer as they try to pinpoint the location.
And even though it's been one month since the flight went missing, experts say they are still very optimistic.

Hoping that they will hear more pings from the rapidly draining batteries
From the black boxes of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370,

Angus Houston: "There have been no further contacts with any transmission."
Over the weekend searchers reported two pings were heard over a period of hours.

Now trying to pinpoint the location-- the Navy is combing through a 3 mile-by 3 mile grid.

"When we go search an area, if we don't find anything, then we're able to eliminate that area from any additional searching and move on to the next, so it gives a good way to concentrate our search assets on new areas."

The water in this area is so deep 12 Empire State Buildings could be stacked on top of one another and still could not be seen from the surface.

And yet the search continues.  Today more possible debris spotted--
Flight Lieutenant Benn Carroll: "We saw a couple of nondescript items in the water, we took some imagery of that and we've sent that back for analysis. We'll see what comes of that."

No actual debris has yet been found, despite weeks of searching, leaving the grieving families with nothing but unanswered questions.