WEAR - Search Results
Girls burned in kitchen accident doing better
ESCAMBIA COUNTY - The two Escambia County girls who were seriously hurt in a cooking accident last week are doing much better. It happened Wednesday while they were briefly home alone in the Mayfair community.
Family members say three year-old Issabella was sitting on the couch watching TV while her twelve year-old sister, Allison, was in the kitchen nearby trying to make french fries. The pot got really hot so Allison grabbed it with her right hand to take it outside but ended up dropping it right next to her sister because it was too hot.
The grease went everywhere, some of it splattering on the back of Issabella's neck, shoulders and part of her leg. The three-year-old was treated and released from the hospital within 24 hours.
"They said she should heal pretty nicely," explained the girls' mother, Jennifer Haley, who said Allison's injuries were much worse.
"Allison sustained second degree burns on her right hand and first degree burns going down her left and right thighs all the down," Jennifer said, "She has some on her feet."
Allison was taken to University of South Alabama's Children's and Women's Hospital in Mobile. She should be out by Tuesday.
"She's ready to see her friends," Jennifer said, "Ready to be with her family."
Jennifer says the accident happened at the home of her mother, who was working at the time.
"I feel bad...Made me cry!" said the girls' grandfather, Alfredo Alers, who had been watching them.
Alers says he left for about ten minutes to get mail from his house down the street when the accident happened.
"My kids are always well supervised," Jennifer said, "It's just this is what I consider like a freak accident."
Jennifer also says her mother is not the guardian of her children as was previously reported.
While she goes through therapy, Allison will be home-schooled by a teacher from the district for the rest of the school year.