WEAR - Search Results
Fort Walton Beach restaurant closes due to health inspection
FORT WALTON BEACH -- A health inspection led to the emergency closure of a Fort Walton Beach restaurant yesterday.
Laura Hussey "The Old Hag's Cafe in Fort Walton Beach has been in business about two years. An inspection Monday identified more than 25 problems. Some described as basic, others described as priority."
On their Facebook page Monday, the owner of The Old Hag's Cafe said they were closed for spring cleaning.
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation says they ordered the closure at 11:15 that morning.
The report says the inspector found rodent droppings in two areas, and more than sixty live roaches.
One customer says she was surprised, because the restaurant always appeared clean.
Angel Schauer "I've been there for breakfast, I've been there for brunch, I've been there for dinner, and I'll be back."
The owner spoke to us off-camera, saying the report is overblown.
She says they spray for bugs regularly, but had a recent problem she blames on a food vendor.
Bill Avery/Fokker's Sports Pub "It's a hard battle to stay ahead of, you have to be very vigilant."
The owner of Fokker's Sports Pub won't speak about any other restaurant, but says it's crucial to maintain a level of cleanliness that's always ready for inspection.
Bill "It's the most important part of the business. Your sanitation should always be the highest priority, of anything you do in the kitchen."
Other warnings at Old Hag's Cafe were issued for food stored at too high a temperature, and for a "mold-like substance" in the ice machine.
Laura Hussey "The owner addressed a violation of an employee sink being inaccessible by saying that could be something as simple as a bucket of sanitizer placed in the sink."
Late Tuesday afternoon, The Department of Business and Professional Regulation said the restaurant has not been cleared to re-open yet.