WEAR - Search Results
Parts of Sacred Heart Hospital evacuated due to fire
ESCAMBIA COUNTY -- It was a scary morning at Sacred Heart hospital. Parts of the facility was evacuated Monday morning because of a fire.
Firefighters say the fire started on the second floor in a hallway that connects the main hospital to the new building under construction. They say that one of the construction workers was using a blow torch and accidentally set a stack of papers on fire.
All of the construction workers were evacuated along with some hospital staff and people in waiting rooms. Eric Gilson was doing cabinet work when he realized something was wrong. He said, "It was crazy actually. We were in there, doing cabinet work, like usual, just smoke in every place.
He immediately started telling everyone to get out. He said, "I got a little scared. I grabbed a hold of him and said 'come on, let's go'. They were like what's going on, its a fire its a fire!"
The fire was quickly put out by a sprinkler on the ceiling but there was a ton of smoke. Firefighters had work quickly to make sure it didn't spread to other parts of the hospital. David Allen with the Pensacola Fire department said, "We use multiple fans to shuttle smoke to the stairwell. And then we open the top of the stairwell. So it's somewhat like a chimney in a house, but much larger."
Fortunately no one was hurt and the fire didn't impact too many patients. A few had to change rooms, but the emergency room was still able to operate.
The new construction is set to be finished this summer. They don't think the fire will slow them down too much.