WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Metro-North train derailment in NYC

At least four people were killed and 63 njured after a Metro-North passenger train derailed in the Bronx borough of New York City on Sunday morning, officials said.

Eleven people were in critical condition at area hospitals according to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, although he said he believed they were in stable condition. Three of the dead were ejected from the train. Several people had to be extracted from the wreckage.

"Obviously a very tragic situation," said Cuomo, who did not speculate on the cause of the crash. "The first order of business is to care for the people on the train."

Cuomo said that the train's operator had survived the crash and was being treated for unspecified injuries.

The seven-car Hudson Line commuter train was headed toward Grand Central Station when it derailed near the Spuyten Duyvil Station in the Bronx on a long curved section of the track at around 7:30 a.m., according to Metro-North.

At least two of the cars had flipped on their side after the crash, and one car stopped only feet from the banks of the Harlem River. Cuomo told reporters that the four fatalities were from the two cars that had flipped on their side.

The locomotive car could be seen lying on its side near the train tracks.

Frank Tatulli, a passenger on the first car to derail, told WABC-TV he had managed to get off the train by himself after the derailment but other passengers had to be removed by stretchers.

Emergency responders could be seen swarming the train tracks and the cars and around 9 a.m.

"Four people lost their lives today in the holiday season," said Cuomo, who clarified their families had not been notified. "Let us all say a prayer and remember those people we lost this morning."

A senior state department official told ABC New there was no indication that the crash was a result of terrorism or criminal conduct. The National Transportation Safety Board announced they would be sending a team to investigate the derailment.

Metro-North announced that rail service was indefinitely suspended between the Croton Harmon and Grand Central stations in New York. Amtrak service to upstate New York was also suspended.

People concerned they knew a passenger on the train were instructed to call 311.