WEAR - Search Results
Shelter accidentally euthanizes three family dogs
Escambia County is making changes at the animal shelter.... after three dogs were put to sleep by mistake.
This is a story Channel Three news has been following since August. Two shelter employees are now on disciplinary review. One of those employees is a kennel supervisor. The shelter director has been removed. Also - a new policy is in place - a veterinarian has to review every case before any animal is euthanized.
Joe Douglass reports on what else is being done to protect Escambia County pets.
Back in August the shelter accidentally euthanized this dog, Cowgirl, just hours before she was scheduled to be picked up by her owners.
Brittany Meade, dog co-owner: "This was such a careless thing that caused the death of our dog."
The manager of the shelter was replaced shortly after that. Last Thursday the shelter picked up this pooch, Maggie, barking at some kids at a bus stop. Maggie's owner, who thought she'd be able to come get the dog later, signed papers without reading them, papers that allowed the shelter to euthanize Maggie at their discretion.
Leslie Reeder, Maggie's owner: "Had I seen that, it would have been a whole different ballgame."
Maggie was put down about an hour later - apparently, the shelter was in a hurry. The latest incident was Friday. A dog was put down -- even though it was microchipped.
Gene Valentino, Chairman, Escambia County Commission said "Staff is working to clean up this issue and to focus on better controls over the operation."
Joe: "How would you feel if one of your dogs ended up there?"
"Oh, you ask me how would I feel? I've got two little shelties... My wife and I would be totally devastated."
As for the dog that was killed Friday, which we don't have a picture of, the county says the animal was picked up on October 18th. They say they scanned it at that time but couldn't find a chip.
Strays are usually put down after five days. So they re-scanned the dog again on Friday before euthanizing it and found the chip, but they say the phone number that came up didn't belong to the registered owner and there was no address.
The owner was contacted by email by the company that makes the chips but by the time they found out their dog was dead.