WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Latest on the D.C. Navy Yard shooting

There was a ceremony today for the victims of the shooting at Washington's navy yard.

And ABC's Karen Travers reports, law enforcement continues to investigate the shooter.

It's quiet here today near the navy yard in Washington. Staff there were asked to work from home as authorities investigate the crime scene.

Authorities are trying to answer why Aaron Alexis came to the navy yard yesterday to kill.

"We continue to conduct interviews, exploit digital media and run down every lead we can."

Law enforcement sources said the 34-year-old navy IT contractor was a "ticking time bomb," and warning signs may have been missed.

On August 7 at 6 am, Alexis called the Newport, Rhode Island, police.

He claimed that after an argument at a Virginia airport, an unidentified person had sent three people to follow him and keep him awake by talking to him and sending vibrations through his body through a microwave machine.

Alexis switched hotels three times that night, trying to escape the voices.

Newport authorities contacted naval station police, it is unclear if the military took any action.

Alexis's friends say they are shocked, but said he suffered from PTSD after helping rescue people on 9/11.

"He talked about sometimes he would get, you know, down."

And we're also learning stunning stories of survival.

John weaver has worked at the navy yard for 13 years. Yesterday he was at his desk on the 3rd floor when...

"Popped my head up in time to see him shooting my friend."

He used a cabinet to block the entrance to his cubicle and hid. He later made the decision to run.

12 innocent civilians were murdered in cold blood at work. They ranged in age from 46 to 73.

Aaron Alexis had run-ins with law enforcement in the past. But friends say today they cannot believe he was behind this horrific tragedy.

Karen Travers, ABC News, Washington.