WEAR - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

New developments in Asiana Flight 214 crash

For the first time, we're hearing the frantic 9-1-1 calls made by passengers on Flight 214 just moments after the plane crashed on the runway in San Francisco. This comes as new questions surround the flight crew. We're learning it took pilots 90 seconds before they ordered passengers to evacuate the burning aircraft.      
"We just got in a plane crash and there are a lot of people that need help."
"We have people over here that weren't found and they are burned really badly."
A chilling description of the traumatic scene as passengers escape the burning aircraft, and a desperate plea for emergency medical assistance.
"We've been down on the ground, I don't know, 20 minutes, a half-hour. There are people waiting on the tarmac with critical injuries, head injuries. We're almost losing a woman here. We're trying to keep her alive."
And overnight, a somber moment on an airport runway.Family members of the two girls who died and others who were injured on Asiana flight 214 visit the crash scene.
And for the first time, six members of the Asiana 214 flight crew make a stand of solidarity with six of their colleagues still in the hospital, emotion and anguish is written in their faces.
"We are putting in our best efforts - she says - to recover from this accident."
Many crediting the heroic actions of the flight crew for saving so many lives. Investigators now say three flight attendants were ejected from the plane still in their seats. A forth injured by an emergency slide that deployed inside the cabin. They also pulled out extinguishers and fought fires as passengers escaped. Investigators now say it took a minute and half for that evacuation to begin. This, as we are learning more about the investigation itself. NTSB saying two and half minutes before impact there were several changes to auto pilot and auto throttle modes. What's still not clear is whether the pilots were making those changes. The pilot of the aircraft also told investigators at 500 feet he was temporarily blinded by a light.
"He did talk to us about the approach and landing, he relayed that to us, but it was a temporary issue."
Airport and airline officials eager to get back to full operations as arrangements are made to remove the charred remains of Flight 214.